Tuesday, April 29, 2008

Lions and Tigers and Bears, Oh My!


Mary had her first visit to the zoo today. It was chilly, but we bundled her up - those are socks on her hands!
While we were in the Tropic World exhibit, I saw one very lonely and sad looking monkey (I think it was a monkey. I know some animals, like gorillas, are not really monkeys, but, you know what I mean). I even commented about it to Scott. It was strange to see only one monkey in that entire section. As we were heading into the next habitat, I saw a sign that said a baby monkey had died there recently. The zoo was not sure why, but the baby had just become too weak to hold onto it's mother. The baby was born last November and apparently a doctor from Loyola's NICU had been treating it. I'm assuming the sad monkey we saw was the baby's mom. I know this sounds silly, but I truly felt heartbroken - here was a baby almost exactly the same age as Mary, being treated by the same doctors who cared for her. But this baby was dead. I know it was just an animal. But that mama nursed her baby, and carried her baby, and slept with her baby - just like me. Oh, how grateful I am to still be able to do all those things with my own sweet babe.

3 comments:

splinters and wholeness said...

that is the saddest thing i have ever read!
sad about the monkey...very sad. but so parallel to your feelings, experiences, and what you have been going through...and you were smart enough not only to notice that monkey mama, but to draw that parallel...
that poor monkey did everything right, and thats what makes it so sad. (kate again)

Gabi said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Gabi said...

as we've discussed before, I never know when you're serious.

My first response to this was, "well, I 'do' have opposable thumbs", but maybe you are serious, and it just comes across as silly because you keep writing "monkey".