Sunday, April 27, 2008

Hope

Hope is the thing with feathers
That perches in the soul,
And sings the tune--without the words,
And never stops at all,

And sweetest in the gale is heard;
And sore must be the storm
That could abash the little bird
That kept so many warm.

I've heard it in the chillest land,
And on the strangest sea;
Yet, never, in extremity,
It asked a crumb of me.

~Emily Dickinson

I dreamed about this poem last night. I have always loved it. It was my inspiration this past winter. I tried to remember it whenever I was feeling particularly anxious. However, it was more an exercise in "acting as if". I didn't actually feel very hopeful. I was so afraid Mary was going to die during, or right after, her surgery. When I woke this morning, with the remnants of Miss Dickenson's sweet verse on my mind, I finally truly felt hopeful. Mary's feeling pretty good, too.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Greetings "G",
What a beautiful poem, simple, but filled with a world of things. May God continue to bless you and your family. We pray without cease for Mary and the family. Love you All dearly. DeVonne W.

Anonymous said...

lets get going on the blogs, okay?

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.