Wednesday, May 19, 2010

Babe in the Woods

The boys participated in a "Wilderness Survival Workshop" at Fullersburg Woods today. It lasted a couple of hours, which gave Mary and me time to explore the forest preserve and visit the really great visitor center~
The first thing the guides did was to point out poison ivy, which I took a picture of, because I never knew exactly what "if you see three, leave it be" looked like. I took a picture for reference. I suppose I could have looked in an encyclopedia...
We had a picnic lunch and then headed home to cool off for a bit before Sammy's game tonight. The boys were thrilled with the flint we purchased - the handle was made of a deer antler. It will be fun to start fires in the back yard!

1 comment:

Amy said...

Huh. Poison ivy looks like basil. Who knew?

(Clearly not me ...)