Monday, March 3, 2008

Save the Date

Well, we finally have a date for Mary's surgery. When I first heard it, I felt torn between immense relief and overwhelming anxiety. It's good to finally have a date, a finite time to look at on the calendar, instead of this vague darkness overshadowing our days. However, it really does feel like our family's personal D-Day. I must remember that however horrible I think this might be, it probably will not be nearly as bad. Mary is an amazingly strong little girl who I am confident will come through this with flying colors. Charlie and Sam will once again prove how resilient they are while I am in the hospital with their sister. All of the doctors and nurses at Loyola have already given our family outstanding care, I know they will this time, as well. We are surrounded by so many loving people who have blessed us, and will again, with help, both practical and emotional. We will survive. And hopefully thrive. Why, then, do I feel like I'm going to vomit?

Mary was once again subjected to a blood test today. Whenever we walk out of the lab, I feel like I've just been through a war zone. My hair is a mess, I'm sweating, and I've got loads of adrenalin pumping through my veins. This was by far the worst time yet. Mary cried hysterically throughout the entire procedure. She did wear her Amber Teething Necklace. If only there were phlebotomy jewelry.



Oh, the big day? Friday, April 11.

2 comments:

Susana M.C.~ said...

My thoughts and prayers to you and your family.

This is a big deal for you and I pray for your happy outcome.

May God Bless
Susana and the boys

Anonymous said...

Mary, what a perfect name and what an adorable child. Our family will keep you all in our prayers over these next few days.

I could only read your blog in sections, it breaks a mother's heart. You & your family have been through such an emotional journey.

May God Bless Mary and your family for continued strength.

Pat & Bill Moore
Topeka, KS